[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jun 24 19:30:24 EDT 2018

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Greg seem to be +0 or better for (a)

Actually, I'm closer to -1 on (a) as well. I don't like := as a
way of getting assignment in an expression. The only thing I would
give a non-negative rating is some form of "where" or "given".

Brief summary of reasons for disliking ":=":

* Cryptic use of punctuation

* Too much overlap in functionality with "="

* Asymmetry between first and subsequent uses of the bound value

* Makes expressions cluttered and hard to read to my eyes

--
Greg