[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 18:09:00 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> ​I'd like to ask: how many readers of ​
>
> ​this email have ever deliberately taken advantage of the limited Python 3
> scope in comprehensions and generator expressions to use what would
> otherwise be a conflicting local variable name?​

​No, never, but the opposite has bitten me in production code (as I related
several months back, a class-level variable was being used on the lhs of a
comprehension and that failed when it was run in Py3).

The caveat is that our code base is Py2+Py3, so we have the mindset that
comprehension variables always leak.​