[Python-Dev] We now have C code coverage!

Ammar Askar ammar at ammaraskar.com
Fri Jun 29 13:31:21 EDT 2018

Oh whoops, sorry about that. I haven't really used mailing lists
before and so I assumed hitting reply in gmail would send it to
python-dev, not just your personal email. Just so the config file
locations are publicly documented, here's what I responded with:

> For IDLE's test suite, I use a customized .coveragerc.  I strongly prefer to not abandon that and litter the code with # pragmas.

Yup, I agree completely. Having pragmas everywhere is really annoying,
its really only useful for small one-off stuff.

> In order to make sense of the coverage report and have it be truthful, one needs to know what options are being used.
> Is the --branch flag set?
> Is .coveragerc or some other configuration file in use?
> If so, what is the content?
> Do we have any control over the use and content of exclusion settings?

To answer all these questions at once, yeah, we have complete control
over all the coverage parameters. Currently we aren't building with
`--branch` and don't have a coveragrc file. We could put one in the
root of CPython (which would get picked up automatically) but
personally I think CI related crud should go into its own folder.
Luckily we do have a ".github" folder, so I'd suggest putting the
coveragerc file in there and then adding the parameter
`--rcfile=.github/coveragerc`

All the parameters to coverage.py can be configured here
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/.travis.yml#L82

If you wanna send over your IDLE coveragerc file, I can experiment and
try to get it working for Travis, or you can explore it yourself if
you want.