[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 -- bugfix or security before EOL?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Mar 10 20:54:35 EST 2018

Let's not play games with semantics. The way I see the situation for 2.7 is
that EOL is January 1st, 2020, and there will be no updates, not even
source-only security patches, after that date. Support (from the core devs,
the PSF, and python.org) stops completely on that date. If you want support
for 2.7 beyond that day you will have to pay a commercial vendor. Of course
it's open source so people are also welcome to fork it. But the core devs
have toiled long enough, and the 2020 EOL date (an extension from the
originally annouced 2015 EOL!) was announced with sufficient lead time and
fanfare that I don't feel bad about stopping to support it at all.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)