[Python-Dev] PEP 575: Unifying function/method classes

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:14:42 EDT 2018

This would be really useful for Cython, as well as a nice cleanup in
general (e.g. replacing 4 special cases with one check).

It seems the main concern is the user-visible change in types. If this is
determined to be too backwards incompatible (I would be surprised if many
projects are impacted, but also surprised if none are--more data is
warranted) I think the main points of this proposal could be addressed by
introducing the common superclass(es) while keeping the "leaf" types of
builtin_function_or_method, etc. exactly the same similar to the two-phase
proposal (though of course it'd be a nice to split this up, as well as
unify normal-method and c-defined-method if that's palatable).

- Robert