[Python-Dev] Drop/deprecate Tkinter?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:54:04 EDT 2018

On 2 May 2018 at 22:37, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> To elaborate a bit: the OP, while angry, produced both a detailed
> analysis *and* a PR.  It's normal to be angry when an advertised
> feature doesn't work and it makes you lose hours of work (or, even,
> forces you to a wholesale redesign). Producing a detailed analysis and a
> PR is more than most people will ever do.

His *other* email seems reasonable, and warrants a response, yes. But
are we to take the suggestion made here (to drop tkinter) seriously,
based on the fact that there's a (rare - at least it appears that the
many IDLE users haven't hit it yet) race condition that causes a crash
in Python 2.7? (It appears that the problem doesn't happen in the
python.org 3.x builds, if I understand the description of the issue).

I don't have an opinion on the proposed fixes to tkinter, but I
definitely don't think that dropping it is a reasonable option.

Nor do I think the tone of his message here is acceptable - regardless
of how annoyed he is, posting insults ("no-one gives a damn") about
volunteer contributors in a public mailing list isn't reasonable or
constructive. Call that "playing speech police" if you want, but I
think that being offended or annoyed and saying so is perfectly
reasonable.

Paul