[Python-Dev] PEP 575: Unifying function/method classes

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Thu May 3 06:22:38 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-03 11:30, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Please don't queue backward incompatible changes for Python 4.0. You
> should use the regular deprecation process.

I don't really see how that can be done here. As Stefan said

> The problem is that this
> change does not really fit into the deprecation cycle since there is no
> specific use case to warn about.

The PEP proposes to change an implementation detail. It's really hard to
determine at runtime whether code is relying on that implementation
detail. We could insert a DeprecationWarning in some places, but those
would mostly be false positives (a DeprecationWarning is shown but the
code won't break).

On top of that, there is no way to show a DeprecationWarning for code
like "type(x) is foo".

Jeroen.