[Python-Dev] Dealing with tone in an email

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 3 16:13:54 EDT 2018

On Thu, 3 May 2018 at 12:29 Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:

> EVENTUALLY WE'LL ALL BE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME. Sad.

Yep. And that leads to burn-out. So while Ivan may have lucked out in
getting the attention of people who are helped him (and given the wrong
kind of positive reinforcement that this approach is reasonable), this can
lead to people quitting open source and not being available to help you
next time (e.g. notice how it drove Paul Moore over the edge to pull back
for a week or so and he may have been the expert you needed for packaging
or me for imports; IOW I would say Ivan was lucky this time and may not be
so lucky next time).

-Brett