[Python-Dev] Dealing with tone in an email

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri May 4 06:14:21 EDT 2018

On Fri, 4 May 2018 08:23:19 +0100
Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> ​Yup. Tolerance has to have its limits, and this came close to abusive
> behaviour. ​
>
> ​I suspect others among us might have been guilty of similar behaviours in
> the past I certainly couldn't cast the first stone), but times change as do
> standards, and it's certainly not the tone the majority of the readers of
> this list would want, I believe.
>
> Let's hope this message continues to come across loud and clear.

Since Terry Reedy (the IDLE maintainer) responded and refuted (some
of?) the OP's assertions, I guess the case is settled.

But that's not the same thing as threatening a poster with some
accusations of CoC violation, just because the poster happened to use a
familiar expression.

Personally, I don't want people to be intimidated away from contributing
because their English expression differs from that of the dominant (or,
rather, most vocal and/or better organized) fraction.

Regards

Antoine.