[Python-Dev] Python linkage on macOS

Ray Donnelly mingw.android at gmail.com
Fri May 4 08:10:46 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2018 00:21:54 +0000
> Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, on Windows there's always a python?.dll.
>>
>> macOS is an interesting one. For Anaconda 5.0 I read somewhere (how's that
>> for a useless reference - and perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick)
>> that Python for all Unixen should use a statically linked interpreter so I
>> happily went ahead and did that.
>
> A statically linked Python can also be significantly faster (10 to 20%
> IIRC, more perhaps on ARM).  I think you already know about that :-)

Indeed, and it worked out well on Intel too. Thanks for the recommendation.

>> Anyway, it is obviously safer for us to do what upstream does and I will
>> try to post some benchmarks of static vs shared to the list so we can
>> discuss it.
>
> I have no idea what our default builds do on macOS, I'll let Ned Deily
> or another mac expert answer (changing the topic in the hope he notices
> this subthread :-)).

And thanks for doing this. For the benchmarks I think I should build
Python 3.6.5 (or would 3.7.0b4 be better?) from pyperformance built
each way using the AD scripts and reply here with the results. If I do
not get it done today then I hope to get them ready by Monday.