[Python-Dev] Dealing with tone in an email (was: Drop/deprecate Tkinter?)

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:27:16 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 06:31:03PM +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:
> ..
> I'm not defending Ivan's initial email. His tantrum *was* annoying,
> unreasonable, and unfair to those who do care about tkinter. He could
> have done better.
>
> But *we* should be better too. Our response to Ivan has not been
> welcoming, and as a community we haven't lived up to our own standards,
> as we have piled onto him to express our rightous indignation:

+1

It may be a reflection of me sharing the cultural roots with Ivan, but
his original post did not sound particularly offensive to me. I've
seen worse.

When it comes to communication on public fora, I am a strong believer
in Postel's principle of robustness: "be conservative in what you do,
be liberal in what you accept from others."