[Python-Dev] Process to remove a Python feature

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri May 4 18:16:01 EDT 2018

> I think the information about since which version number it will be removed
> is more useful.

About deprecation, there is the funny story of bytes filenames on
Windows. I deprecated this feature in Windows 3.3 since it was broken.
I really wanted hard to remove support for bytes filenames on Windows.

One day, Steve Dower showed up with the PEP 529 "Change Windows
filesystem encoding to UTF-8" and he just *removed the deprecation
warning* from Python 3.6, since bytes filenames are now working as
intended :-)

Victor