[Python-Dev] A fast startup patch (was: Python startup time)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat May 5 14:33:55 EDT 2018

On Sat, May 5, 2018, 10:40 AM Eric Fahlgren <ericfahlgren at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 4, 2018, 7:00 PM Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What are the obstacles to including "preloaded" objects in regular .pyc
>>> files, so that everyone can take advantage of this without rebuilding the
>>> interpreter?
>>>

>> Would this make .pyc files arch specific?
>>

> Or have parallel "pyh" (Python "heap") files, that are architecture
> specific... (But that would cost more stat calls.)

I ask because arch specific byte code files are a big change in consumers
expectations.  It's not necessarily a bad change but it should be
communicated to downstreams so they can decide how to adjust to it.

Linux distros which ship byte code files will need to build them for each
arch, for instance.  People who ship just the byte code as an obfuscation
of the source code will need to decide whether to ship packages for each
arch they care about or change how they distribute.

-Toshio