[Python-Dev] Dealing with tone in an email

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 6 16:10:57 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 6:04 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> If it were up to me, I would deprecate non-threaded mode immediately,
>

> Given that 99% of tkinter users do not need threaded tcl, why cut some of
> them off?

"Non-threaded" really just means "non-thread-safe". There's nothing
wrong with using thread-safe APIs when you're using only a single
thread, other than the performance overhead. Is that significant
enough to require the distinction?

> When tkinter is import and a root is created, tkinter cannot know
> whether the user is going to later make failing calls from threads.  Tkinter
> has traditional been slow to remove support of old versions; it still
> supports 8.4.  It will eventually become a moot point, at least on Windows,
> as current Windows installers install threaded tcl.  I presume the same is
> true for the new Mac installers.  I have no idea what people have on linux.

That's what I'm hoping for, yes. Eventually threaded will be the only
way to do things.

ChrisA