[Python-Dev] Slow down...

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Mon May 7 05:17:30 EDT 2018

On 7 May 2018 at 03:25, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 May 2018 at 11:30, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd very much like a live in a world where Jython and IronPython and
>> MicroPython and Cython and Pyjamas can all catch up and implement
>> Python 3.7, 3.8, and so forth.
>>

> I'm inclined to agree that a Python 3.8 PEP in the spirit of the PEP 3003
> language moratorium could be a very good idea. Between matrix
> multiplication, enhanced tuple unpacking, native coroutines, f-strings, and
> type hinting for variable assignments, we've had quite a bit of syntactic
> churn in the past few releases, and the rest of the ecosystem really hasn't
> caught up on it all yet (and that's not just other implementations - it's
> training material, online courses, etc, etc).
>
> If we're going to take such a step, now's also the time to do it, since
> 3.8 feature development is only just getting under way, and if we did
> decide to repeat the language moratorium, we could co-announce it with the
> Python 3.7 release.

These are all god points. I think it will be a good idea to take a little
pause with syntactic additions and other "cognitively loaded" changes. On
the other hand, I think it is fine to work on performance improvements
(start-up time, import system etc.), internal APIs (like simplifying
start-up sequence and maybe even C API), and polishing corner
cases/simplifying existing constructs (like scoping in comprehensions that
many people find confusing).

IOW, I think the PEP should describe precisely what is OK, and what is not
OK during the moratorium.

--
Ivan