[Python-Dev] Slow down...

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Mon May 7 09:50:49 EDT 2018

May it is important to note that
Python 3.7 already has very little syntactic changes.
Actually, there are no new syntac changes with PEP 563 -
(Postponed Evaluation of Annotations) being maybe
the only change to existing behavior, and PEP 562 as new
"non-library-dependent"  feature, even though no new syntax is
added. (contextvars - PEP 567 - is a big change, but is constrained to
a new stdlib module).

On the other hand, one of the hottest topics being discussed now
 - PEP 572 - would be quite a change that would violate such a
moratorium. What would happen if we wd'd take such a  moratorium now?
 Have Python with no real syntactic changes since f-strings up to version
3.9 (~4.5 years after 3.6)? Allow just whatever is already being discussed
 - introducing a major change (local assignments) in 3.8, but just bar
others because people did not think of then before this moratorium
 was proposed?

Maybe simply there is just no need for such a moratorium mechanism,
and the natural barriers for new features can work to keep
things in manageable pace, as we can see by the release getting
 ready right now.

best regards,

  js
 -><-