[Python-Dev] Slow down...

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:59:14 EDT 2018

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree that a Python 3.8 PEP in the spirit of the PEP 3003
> language moratorium could be a very good idea.

Note that the PEP specifically applies to "syntax, semantics, and
built-ins".  Here's the full abstract [1]:

    This PEP proposes a temporary moratorium (suspension) of all changes to the
    Python language syntax, semantics, and built-ins for a period of
at least two
    years from the release of Python 3.1. In particular, the moratorium would
    include Python 3.2 (to be released 18-24 months after 3.1) but allow Python
    3.3 (assuming it is not released prematurely) to once again include language
    changes.

    This suspension of features is designed to allow non-CPython implementations
    to "catch up" to the core implementation of the language, help ease adoption
    of Python 3.x, and provide a more stable base for the community.

-eric

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3003/#abstract