[Python-Dev] Slow down...

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:19:28 EDT 2018

10 years feels like a simultaneously long and arbitrary limit. IMO a policy
of "try to avoid major language features for a while" would work better.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 2:11 PM Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm inclined to agree that a Python 3.8 PEP in the spirit of the PEP 3003
>> language moratorium could be a very good idea. Between matrix
>> multiplication, enhanced tuple unpacking, native coroutines, f-strings, and
>> type hinting for variable assignments, we've had quite a bit of syntactic
>> churn in the past few releases, and the rest of the ecosystem really hasn't
>> caught up on it all yet (and that's not just other implementations - it's
>> training material, online courses, etc, etc).
>>
>> If we're going to take such a step, now's also the time to do it, since
>> 3.8 feature development is only just getting under way, and if we did
>> decide to repeat the language moratorium, we could co-announce it with the
>> Python 3.7 release.
>>

> Would it be reasonable to request a 10 year moratorium on making changes
> to the core Python language,
> and for the next 10 years only focus on things that do not require core
> language changes,
> such as improving/bugfixing existing libraries, writing new libraries,
> improving tooling, improving infrastructure (PyPI),
> improving performance, etc., etc.?
>
> There are still many companies still stuck on Python 2, so giving 10 years
> of breathing room
> for these companies to catch up to Python 3 core language, even past 2020
> would be very helpful.
>
> --
> Craig

Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else
https://refi64.com/