[Python-Dev] What is the rationale behind source only releases?

Alex Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Wed May 16 00:35:54 EDT 2018

In the spirit of learning why there is a fence across the road before I tear
it down out of ignorance [1], I'd like to know the rationale behind source
only releases of cpython.  I have an opinion on their utility and perhaps an
idea about changing them, but I'd like to know why they are done (as opposed
to source+binary releases or no release at all) before I head over to
python-ideas.  Is this documented somewhere where my google-fu can't find
it?

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence