[Python-Dev] What is the rationale behind source only releases?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 17 10:04:51 EDT 2018

On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 09:57 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 May 2018 at 14:42, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > If I understand things correctly, our planned migration to VSTS will
> include
> > eventually automating the signing of the Windows releases so that part
> wont
> > be an issue (which are currently signed manually be Steve).
>
> Somewhat off-topic for this discussion, but is there any background on
> the "planned migration to VSTS" that I can go and read up on? I've
> seen the comments on the committers mailing list and it looks cool,
> but I got the impression it was an addition, rather than a migration.
> (If it is just an additional CI service we'll be using, then no
> worries - more is always better!)

To be a bit more specific, it's "planned assuming the testing of VSTS works
out as we expect it to". :) IOW it isn't definite quite yet, but I am not
expecting any blockers or people objecting, so in my head I'm optimistic
that it's going to happen. (Any more discussion can be brought up on
core-workflow.)