[Python-Dev] My fork lacks a 3.7 branch - can I create it somehow?

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Tue May 22 18:09:00 EDT 2018

On 22.05.2018 3:07, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> My GitHub fork of the cpython repo was made awhile ago, before a 3.7 branch
> was created. I have no remotes/origin/3.7. Is there some way to create it
> from remotes/upstream/3.7? I asked on GitHub's help forums. The only
> recommendation was to to delete my fork and recreate it. That seemed kind
> of drastic, and I will do it if that's really the only way, but this seems
> like functionality Git and/or GitHub probably supports.
>
> Thx,
You don't really need copies of official branches on your Github fork if
you're not a maintainer for these branches.
(You'll have to keep master though AFAIK since Git needs some branch to
be marked as "default".)

It's sufficient to just have topic branches for PRs there: you take
official branches from python/cpython and topic branches from your fork,
do the edits and manipulations locally, then upload the changed topic
branches to your fork.
I found this easier than having everything in your fork 'cuz it saves
you the hassle of keeping your copies up-to-date and having unexpected
merge conflicts in your PRs if the copies get out of date.

> Skip

Regards,
Ivan