[Python-Dev] My fork lacks a 3.7 branch - can I create it somehow?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:06:36 EDT 2018

On 23 May 2018 at 19:25, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2018 at 09:14, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 May 2018 19:10:49 -0500
> > Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for that!  It instantly cleared up several mysteries for me.
> >> I'm just starting to learn git & github, and am starkly reminded of an
> >> old truth:  there is absolutely nothing "obvious" about source-control
> >> systems, or workflows, before you already know them ;-)
> >
> > I think you'll find out that git can be especially non-obvious :-)
>
> My understanding is that git becomes more obvious when you understand
> that it's not actually a source control system at all but rather a
> data model for text and changes. (Or something like that, I haven't
> reached that level of enlightenment myself yet...)

For data structure wonks,
http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/ can be more
informative than any number of git usage guides :)

The mapping from command line incantations to their effect on the DAG can
be a little (*cough*) obscure, but having the right mental model of what's
going on at a data structure level can still help enormously.

Cheers,
Nick.