[Python-Dev] [python-committers] FINAL WEEK FOR 3.7.0 CHANGES!

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Thu May 24 10:35:41 EDT 2018

On May 24, 2018, at 07:26, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Any merges to the 3.7 branch after
>> that will be released in 3.7.1 which we tentatively are planning to
>> ship sometime before the end of July (< 2018-07-31).
> I recall that Python 3.6.0 was full of bugs, some functions like
> os.waitpid() on Windows (if I recall correctly) were completely
> broken.
>
> We can do our best to test as much as possible, hope that more and
> more people use the "nightly" Python version to run their CI, but we
> always miss bugs. We always get the most testers when the final x.y.0
> version is released.
>
> Why waiting two months to release bugfixes?

We're not planning on waiting two months.  First, 3.7.0 final is not
planned to release until 2018-06-15; if necessary, there could be one
or more emergency bug fixes in it.  Second, "before the end of July
(< 2018-07-31)" does not mean we have to wait until the end of July.
If necessary, it could be near the beginning of the month,
so closer to two weeks after the release.  Right now, our focus
should be on getting high-quality 3.7.0rc1 and 3.7.0 final releases
out there to our users and then we can focus on what comes next.

Getting close!

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []