[Python-Dev] 3.7.0rc1 Delayed [was] FINAL WEEK FOR 3.7.0 CHANGES!

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Fri May 25 01:33:43 EDT 2018

On May 24, 2018, at 03:23, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
> On May 23, 2018, at 09:13, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
>> On May 23, 2018, at 07:45, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to add yet one beta instead?
>>> CI was broken for few latest days, tests are not passed on my computer still (and fail on some buildbots), updating What's New exposed new features which need additional testing (and maybe fixing or reverting), and I'm not comfortable about some changes which would be harder to fix after the release.
>> it is possible but there's no point in doing either another beta or a release candidate until we understand and address the current blocking issues, like the major buildbot failures.  We have another 24 hours until rc1 was planned to be tagged.  Let's keep working on the known issues and we will make a decision then.
> An update: thanks to a lot of effort over the past day by a number of
> people (including Victor, Serhiy, Christian, Zach, and others I'm sure
> I'm forgetting - my apologies), we have addressed all of the "release
> blocker" issues and all but one of the persistent failures on the 3.7
> stable buildbots. We should have the couple of remaining "deferred
> blockers" including the remaining stable buildbots in green status by
> later today. At that point, we will be ready to tag 3.7.0rc1 and begin
> producing the release candidate artifacts.

Further update: some good news and some changes.

The good news is that we have resolutions for all of the previous release and deferred blockers.  Thanks to a number of people for continuing to help get the remaining stable buildbot issues taken care of along with some lingering bugs. 

The not-quite-as-good news is that we have had more discussions about some unexpected incompatibilities that have shown up with downstream user testing with the AST docstrings changes in place (see bpo-32911).  We have had some previous discussions about the expected user impact and, earlier in the beta phase, I encouraged us to stay the course with the feature as implemented.  But I am now persuaded that we owe it to our users to take one more look at this to make sure we do not force them to make changes for 3.7 and then once again for 3.8.  More details are in the bug tracker issue; I strongly encourage those of us who have been involved with this to "vote" there on the proposal to either (A) proceed with the release of the current implementation in 3.7.0 or (B) revert the feature in 3.7.0 and retarget for 3.8.  Should the consensus be to revert (B), we will plan to have one more fast-track beta release (b5) prior to the release candidate, in order to allow downstream users to test their projects with the removal.  PLEASE, keep the discussion about this on the bug tracker (and not here!) and keep it brief so we can move forward quickly.  Because of the upcoming 3-day holiday weekend in some countries, I have set Tue 2018-05-29 18:00 UTC as a cutoff for "voting" but, if a clear consensus emerges earlier, we will likely cut the discussion short.  So chime in now on the bug tracker if you have a stake in this issue.


This does mean that yesterday's "last chance" has been extended a bit, at most a few days.  I will let you know as soon as we have made a decision about the feature and will provide updated 3.7.0 schedule info at that time.


  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []

More information about the Python-Dev mailing list