[Python-Dev] Withdraw PEP 546? Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu May 31 05:34:28 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 14:21 Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:

> > On Wed, May 30, 2018, 07:30 Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone would benefit of MemoryBIO in Python 2.7? Twisted,
> >> asyncio, trio, urllib3, anyone else?
> >
> > Asyncio and trio are strongly py3-only. Twisted's TLS functionality is
> built
> > around pyopenssl, so the stdlib ssl module doesn't affect them. Urllib3
> uses
> > the socket-wrapping APIs, not MemoryBIO. So fwiw I don't think any of
> those
> > projects would benefit.
>
> MemoryBIO was the key feature which allowed to implement TLS for the
> ProactorEventLoop (IOCP) of asyncio.

MemoryBIO is definitely super useful for async libraries – trio uses it,
asyncio uses it, twisted uses it (via pyopenssl). But I don't know of
anyone who currently needs it but hasn't already found a way to get it.

I'm not sure that the Python 2.7 ssl module is a drop-in replacement
> for pyopenssl.

No, their APIs are totally different, for better or worse.

-n