[Python-Dev] Get a running instance of the doc for a PR.

Stephane Wirtel stephane at wirtel.be
Sun Nov 4 10:32:11 EST 2018

On 11/05, Chris Angelico wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Julien Palard via Python-Dev
><python-dev at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Considering feedback from Ned, what about building this as an independent service? We don't really need to interface with python.org at all, we just need some hardware, a domain, some code to interface with github API and... to start it's probably enough? It would be a usefull POC.
>>

>After running 'make html', the build directory is the entire site as a
>set of static files, right? Maybe the easiest solution is to tie in
>with GitHub Pages. I already have a script that will push a directory
>up as the gh-pages branch of the current repo; it'd just need a tweak
>so it can push to a specific repo, which you could create on GitHub
>for the purpose. Not 100% automatic, but also not too difficult to
>automate, if needed.
>
>https://github.com/Rosuav/shed/blob/master/git-deploy

Nice idea, but I am not for that.

1. We will populate the git repository with a lot of gh-pages branches
and I am not for this solution
2. This static doc is just temporary, once merged, we have to remove the
link and the content on the server, with the gh-pages, that will be a
commit where we drop the content, but it's a commit and we will consume
the storage of github.
3. 1 repo has only one gh-pages, in our case, we need to have a lot of
gh-pages for a repo.

But thank you for your idea.

--
Stéphane Wirtel - https://wirtel.be - @matrixise