[Python-Dev] Get a running instance of the doc for a PR.

Stephane Wirtel stephane at wirtel.be
Sun Nov 4 10:46:42 EST 2018

On 11/04, Steve Dower wrote:
>On 04Nov2018 0718, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Julien Palard via Python-Dev
>><python-dev at python.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>Considering feedback from Ned, what about building this as an independent service? We don't really need to interface with python.org at all, we just need some hardware, a domain, some code to interface with github API and... to start it's probably enough? It would be a usefull POC.
>>>

>>After running 'make html', the build directory is the entire site as a
>>set of static files, right? Maybe the easiest solution is to tie in
>>with GitHub Pages. I already have a script that will push a directory
>>up as the gh-pages branch of the current repo; it'd just need a tweak
>>so it can push to a specific repo, which you could create on GitHub
>>for the purpose. Not 100% automatic, but also not too difficult to
>>automate, if needed.
>
>I can trivially attach the built docs as a ZIP file to the Azure
>Pipelines build, though that doesn't help the "preview on my phone"
>scenario (unless your phone can extract and then open a directory of
>HTML files? Mine can't)
Or just upload the zip file to the server-live-preview-doc and unzip the
result.

>But that's also easy enough to tie into a second step to deploy the
>files practically anywhere. Pushing them to a git repo based on the PR
>name is easy, and presumably it can be a single repo with directories
>for different PRs? It might need a separate job to periodically clean
>it up, but this seems very doable.
for the subdirectory by PR I am not sure but we could have an issue with
the cache of the browser because we will use the same domain, but this
solution can be created in few hours. +1

For the subdomain, no problem with the cache, just update the DNS, but
we can have an issue with the propagation of the DNS if the TTL is high.

We could use Bedevere, not sure but I think it can receive an action
about the merge of a PR. Once merge, we execute the clean process ;-)

Stéphane Wirtel - https://wirtel.be - @matrixise