[Python-Dev] Get a running instance of the doc for a PR.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 4 10:50:19 EST 2018

On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 04:12:39PM +0100, Stephane Wirtel wrote:

> My workflow is the following steps:
>
> git wpr XYZ
> cd ../cpython-XYZ
> ./configure --prefix=$PWD-build --with-pydebug --silent
> make -j 4 -s
> make PYTHON=../python -C Doc/ venv
> make -C Doc/ check suspicious html serve
>
> and run the browser on http://localhost:8000/ and check the result.
>

> 1. Because I am a dev I can do it easily
> 2. If you are not a dev, you have to learn a new step (download sources,
> compile sources, compile doc and check the result)

If I am making doc patches, shouldn't I be doing that *before* I
submit the PR? How else will I know that my changes haven't broken the
docs?

So surely I need to learn those steps regardless?

(Not a rhetorical question.)

> I think this feature would be really useful for the contributors, the
> reviewers and you, the core-dev.

Sure. But the usefulness has to be weighed against the extra complexity,
the extra "one more thing that can break and needs to be maintained",
and the risk of abuse.

I have no opinion on whether the pluses outweigh the minuses.

--
Steve