[Python-Dev] Get a running instance of the doc for a PR.

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Sun Nov 4 12:04:31 EST 2018

There is an open request for this on GH, but it's not currently done:
https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/1340

At the PyCon US sprints this year, we added documentation previews via
netlify, and they have been super useful:
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/pull/1367 My understanding is that
other projects do something similar with CircleCI.

It's not amazingly /difficult/ for reviewers to fetch the submitter's
branch, build the documentation and review it locally, but it's a decent
number of extra steps for what /should/ be a very simple review. I think
we all know that reviewer time and effort is one of the biggest
bottlenecks in the CPython development workflow, and this could make it
/much/ easier to do reviews.

Some of the concerns about increasing the surface area I think are a bit
overblown. I haven't seen any problems yet in the projects that do this,
and I don't think it lends itself to abuse particularly
well.//Considering that the rest of the CI suite lets you run arbitrary
code on many platforms, I don't think it's particularly more dangerous
to allow people to generate ephemeral static hosted web sites as well.

Best.

Paul