[Python-Dev] Experiment an opt-in new C API for Python? (leave current API unchanged)

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:32:37 EST 2018

On 11/19/18 12:14 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> To design a new C API, I see 3 options:
>
> (1) add more functions to the existing Py_LIMITED_API
> (2) "fork" the current public C API: remove functions and hide as much
> implementation details as possible
> (3) write a new C API from scratch, based on the current C API.
> Something like #define newcapi_Object_GetItem PyObject_GetItem"?
> Sorry, but "#undef <private_function>" doesn't work. Only very few
> functions are defined using "#define ...".
>
> I dislike (1) because it's too far from what is currently used in
> practice. Moreover, I failed to find anyone who can explain me how the
> C API is used in the wild, which functions are important or not, what
> is the C API, etc.

One big, complex project that now uses the limited API is PySide. They
do some workarounds, but the limited API works. Here's a writeup of the
troubles they have with it:
https://github.com/pyside/pyside2-setup/blob/5.11/sources/shiboken2/libshiboken/pep384impl_doc.rst

> I propose (2). We control how much changes we do at each milestone,
> and we start from the maximum compatibility with current C API. Each
> change can be discussed and experimented to define what is the C API,
> what we want, etc. I'm working on this approach for 1 year, that's why
> many discussions popped up around specific changes :-)

I hope the new C API will be improvements (and clarifications) of the
stable ABI, rather than a completely new thing.
My ideal would be that Python 4.0 would keep the same API (with
questionable things emulated & deprecated), but break *ABI*. The "new C
API" would become that new stable ABI -- and this time it'd be something
we'd really want to support, without reservations.

One thing that did not work with the stable ABI was that it's "opt-out";
I think we can agree that a new one must be "opt-in" from the start.
I'd also like the "new API" to be a *strict subset* of the stable ABI:
if a new function needs to be added, it should be added to both.