[Python-Dev] Inclusion of lz4 bindings in stdlib?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Nov 28 12:59:08 EST 2018

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 09:51:57 -0800
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Are we getting to the point that we want a compresslib like hashlib if we
> are going to be adding more compression algorithms?

It may be useful as a generic abstraction wrapper for simple usage but
some compression libraries have custom facilities that would still
require a dedicated interface.

For example, LZ4 has two formats: a raw format and a framed format.
Zstandard allows you to pass a custom dictionary to optimize
compression of small data. I believe lzma has many tunables.

Regards

Antoine.