[Python-Dev] Inclusion of lz4 bindings in stdlib?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Nov 29 09:45:39 EST 2018

Le 29/11/2018 à 15:36, Benjamin Peterson a écrit :

>> I'd like to point the discussion is asymmetric here.
>>
>> On the one hand, people who don't have access to PyPI would _really_
>> benefit from a larger stdlib with more batteries included.
>>
>> On the other hand, people who have access to PyPI _don't_ benefit from
>> having a slim stdlib.  There's nothing virtuous or advantageous about
>> having _less_ batteries included.  Python doesn't become magically
>> faster or more powerful by including less in its standard
>> distribution: the best it does is make the distribution slightly
>> smaller.
>>
>> So there's really one bunch of people arguing for practical benefits,
>> and another bunch of people arguing for mostly aesthetical or
>> philosophical reasons.
>
> I don't think it's asymmetric. People have raised several practical problems with a large stdlib in this thread. These include:
> - The evelopment of stdlib modules slows to the rate of the Python release schedule.

Can you explain why that would be the case?  As a matter of fact, the
Python release schedule seems to remain largely the same even though we
accumulate more stdlib modules and functionality.

The only risk is the prematurate inclusion of an unstable or ill-written
module which may lengthen the stabilization cycle.

> - stdlib modules become a permanent maintenance burden to CPython core developers.

This is true.  We should only accept modules that we think are useful
for a reasonable part of the user base.

> - The blessed status of stdlib modules means that users might use a substandard stdlib modules when a better thirdparty alternative exists.

We can always mention the better thirdparty alternative in the docs
where desired.  But there are many cases where the stdlib module is good
enough for what people use it.

For example, the upstream simplejson module may have slightly more
advanced functionality, but for most purposes the stdlib json module
fits the bill and spares you from tracking a separate dependency.

Regards

Antoine.