[Python-Dev] Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:00:19 EDT 2018

On 10/4/18 1:38 PM, Łukasz Langa wrote:

>> On 3 Oct 2018, at 23:10, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>> <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/3/2018 8:12 AM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I would like to propose Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580,
>>> titled "The C call protocol". He has co-authored several PEPs (PEP
>>> 394, PEP 489, PEP 534, PEP 547, PEP 573), several of which involve
>>> extension modules.
>>> Petr has agreed to become BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580 if asked. Also
>>> Antoine Pitrou, INADA Naoki and Nick Coghlan have approved Petr being
>>> BDFL-Delegate.
>>
>> To me, three experienced core devs approving of a 4th person as
>> PEP-examiner is sufficient to proceed on a CPython implementation
>> proposal.  I don't think we need to be paralyzed on this.
>
> What you're saying is sensible, the team is small enough and tightly
> knit that we trust each other. However, trust is not the point. It's
> about clear expectations and avoiding anarchy. As Nick points out
> elsewhere, circumventing the lack of governance by "asking a few
> friends" on the core team creates a need for the new leadership to
> ratify those changes. Speaking frankly, it would be a major shit show if
> any of those changes were to be reverted. As the release manager of this
> version of Python, can I ask you please not to risk this?
>
> Ironically, the governance model I am championing is one that would
> closely resemble what you're describing. A community of experts, no
> kings: https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-8012-the-community-model/156/
>
> So it's really not that I disagree with you, I do. It's not that I don't
> trust Petr, I do. It's that I believe the core team needs to formalize
> how they want the project to proceed *before* they go run approving PEPs.

Łukasz, as the release manager for 3.8 you're the closest we have to an
authority, so I defer to your judgment. No PEPs can currently be accepted.

Anyway, even if I was a *-delegate here, I would need to hear Mark
Shannon's opinion on the PEP. Convincing him will probably be harder
than convincing me.