[Python-Dev] AIX to stable, what does that take?

Michael Haubenwallner michael.haubenwallner at ssi-schaefer.com
Fri Oct 5 10:15:29 EDT 2018

Hi Michael,

being on a similar road with Gentoo Prefix, I really do appreciate
your AIX related work!

However, for two (not so minor) topics I've got a little different
experience, which I think should be mentioned here for completion:

On 10/04/2018 11:13 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
> On 10/4/2018 10:30 AM, INADA Naoki wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First of all, congratulations on passing all test on AIX.

>> As a one of core developer, I don't know anything about AIX.
>> If my change breaks AIX build, I can't investigate what's happened.
>>
>> So I think we need following in devguide:
>>
>> * Brief description about AIX, from developer's point of view.
> This I might be able to do. Bullet form:

> ... I build everything myself, using xlc
> (gcc introduces the need for a GNU RTE, e.g., glibc).

Using gcc does *not* require to use glibc or even GNU binutils at all.
Except for gcc's own runtime libraries, there's no need for a GNU RTE.
In fact, in Gentoo Prefix I do use gcc as the compiler, configured to
use AIX provided binutils (as, ld, nm, ...), with AIX libc as RTE.

> * finally, a bit deeper: while the AIX linker loader supports svr4
> shared libraries (it is the data, not the file name) it also supports
> having multiple shared libraries in a classic archive. So, rather that
> .../lib/libxxx.so and .../lib64/libxxx.so AIX prefers .../lib/libxxx.a
> with two so-called members, with same or different names. The one found
> is not it's name, but the symbol name and size of the ABI (32-bit or 64-bit)

While this all is true, having multiple *versions* of one shared library in
one single file is a PITA for package managers - both human or software.

But fortunately, the AIX linker does support so called "Import Files",
allowing for *filename based* shared library versioning like on Linux,
while still allowing for both ABIs in a single library archive file.

For example, libtool provides the --with-aix-soname={aix|svr4|both}
configure flag since libtool-2.4.4.  Although the default will stay
at 'aix' here, in Gentoo Prefix I do use 'svr4' only.  This actually
is a package manager's decision, ideally for all depending packages.
As gcc does use libtool, for more information please refer to
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html#WithAixSoname
But note that "Import Files" should work with xlc as well.

Thanks!
/haubi/