[Python-Dev] Arbitrary non-identifier string keys when using **kwargs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 9 19:21:35 EDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 10:26:50AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> My feeling is that limiting it to strings is fine, but checking those
> strings for resembling identifiers is pointless and wasteful.

Sure. The question is, do we have to support uses where people
intentionally smuggle non-identifier strings as keys via **kwargs?

I'm not saying we need to guard against it, only asking if we need to
officially support it. The discussion on Python-Ideas is (partly) about
making this a language feature.

--
Steve