[Python-Dev] bpo-34837: Multiprocessing.Pool API Extension - Pass Data to Workers w/o Globals

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Oct 12 10:54:48 EDT 2018

Le 12/10/2018 à 16:49, Sean Harrington a écrit :
> Yes - “func” (and “self” which func is bound to) would be copied to each
> child worker process, where they are stored and applied to each element
> of the iterable being mapped over.

Only if it has changed, then, right?

I suspect that would work, but it will break compatibility in some cases
(think of a mutable object that hasn't defined equality - so it defaults
to identity).  It's also introducing a complication in the API which
people didn't have to think of before.

The fact that you're doing all this in order to eschew global variables
for global resources doesn't warm me much to the idea.  Unless other
core developers are enthusiastic I'm not willing to integrate such a change.

Regards

Antoine.