[Python-Dev] Servicing pypi.python.org

Facundo Batista facundobatista at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:32:14 EDT 2018

Hola!

tl;dr: can we have a (semi)permanent redirect from pypi.python.org to pypi.org?

I own/maintain a project called `fades`, which is an automatic
virtualenv creator/manager [0].

While it relies on `pip` itself for the heavy work on the virtualenv
itself, `fades` checks if all required dependencies can be served [1]
*before* starting to do the rest of the work, which saves a lot of
time.

I just noticed that this is broken, because `pypi.python.org` is dead,
and the service should be queried under `pypi.org` directly.

We probably should have switched to the new domain months ago, but you
know how it's open source, it frequently happens that one has to live
first and that leaves no time for fun work.

So, can we have a (semi)permanent redirect from pypi.python.org to pypi.org?

This will help `fades` directly (even if we fix this and release soon,
there will be a lot of older fades in the wild hitting the de[recated
URL) and probably other projects using the old URL.

I suspect that having a generic redirect will not be burdensome server side.

Can we? Can we? P-p-please??? :)

Thanks in advance.

[0] fades.readthedocs.io
[1] using URLs like `https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted/json`