[Python-Dev] AES cipher implementation in standard library

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Wed Sep 5 11:08:02 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-05 16:01, 大野隆弘 wrote:
> Christian,  really appreciated the details. I understood.
>
> Is wrapper library like ssl module with openssl on platform also not
> good idea?
> My intention is not re-invention but single standard way as standard
> library.
>
> If I can read past discussion somewhere, it's also appreciated

The Python standard library doesn't have to solve all problems. Although
the slogan is "Batteries Included", we stopped including all batteries a
long time. We try not to add new modules, especially complex and
security-relevant modules like a generic crypto interface. The Python
core developer team doesn't have any resources to design, create, and
maintain a crypto interface.

The ssl module is a bit special, because pip and other download tools
need it. Without the ssl module, pip wouldn't be able to download
packages over HTTPS.

If you need cryptographic algorithms and primitives, then use the PyCA
cryptography package. It's *the* recommended library for cryptography,
and X.509.

Christian