[Python-Dev] Why does the Contributor Agreement need my address?

Sun Sep 9 08:14:54 EDT 2018

On 9/8/18 11:46 PM, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Joseph C. Sible <josephcsible at gmail.com>
>> I'm used to signing CLA's that require nothing beyond a name and a check
>> box. When I went to sign the PSF Contributor Agreement so I can submit
>> a PR for CPython, I was surprised to see that it wants my address. Why
>> does the Python Software Foundation need this, especially when nobody
>> else does?
> So that our marketing partners can deliver exciting consumer shopping
> opportunities directly to your front door ;-)
>
> Seriously, "nobody else does" shows you haven't looked much.  For
> example, the first two I just looked at also require a mailing
> address:
>
> Apache CLA
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf
>
> Android CLA
> https://cla.developers.google.com/clas/new?domain=DOMAIN_GOOGLE&kind=KIND_INDIVIDUAL
>
> So I'll guess that projects big enough to hire actual lawyers require
> an address.  As to why they want an address, you'll have to ask a
> lawyer!  There aren't any on this list.  So, if you really want to
> pursue this, I suggest you direct the question instead to the Python
> Software Foundation, which deals with the project's legalities:
>
>     psf at python.org
> _
While I am not a lawyer, or even play on on TV, I can imagine that for
such an agreement to really be enforced, they need to know who actually
is agreeing to it. Just a name isn't a unique a unique identifier, so
more information is needed.

--
Richard Damon