[Python-Dev] SEC: Spectre variant 2: GCC: -mindirect-branch=thunk -mindirect-branch-register

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:08:24 EDT 2018

To summarize:

- CPython may be vulnerable to speculative execution vulnerabilities, but
none are known.
- In general, CPython is currently too slow for speculative execution
exploitation to be practical.
  - Sandboxed, JIT'ed JS is not too slow for speculative execution
exploitation to be practical
    - (Not otherwise discussed here: PyPy's sandboxed JIT may not be too
slow for speculative execution exploitation to be practical.)

- C extensions may be vulnerable to speculative execution vulnerabilities;
but that's the authors' and users' problem (and so it's appropriate to
mention this to extension owners following distutils-sig/PyPA)
  - C extensions can set indirect branch CFLAGS only with GCC 7.3 and GCC
8+; which are only usable with conda and the forthcoming manylinux2010 spec

- Linux kernels with [IBRS, STIBP, IBPB] can enable userspace protection
- The revised worst-case performance impacts for variant 2 mitigations are
4-8%

- MSVC has a /Qspectre flag for variant 1

- Because there is no exploit provided (or currently thought possible with
just CPython), this security-related dialogue is regarded as a nuisance.
- There is no published or official statement or investigation from the
Python community regarding Spectre (or Meltdown) vulnerabilities.

Here's a good write-up:
Safety_instructions_for_Meltdown_and_Spectre

Have a good day!