[Python-Dev] Store startup modules as C structures for 20%+ startup speed improvement?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 19 21:25:07 EDT 2018

On Sep 19, 2018, at 20:34, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> There's ongoing work to rewrite zipimport.c in python using zipfile itself

Great timing!  Serhiy’s rewrite of zipimport in Python has just landed in 3.8, although it doesn’t use zipfile.  What’s in git now is a pretty straightforward translation from the original C, so it could use some clean ups (and I think Serhiy is planning that).  So the problem you describe should be easier to fix now in 3.8.  It would be interesting to see if we can squeeze more performance and better behavior out of it now that it’s in Python.

-Barry