[Python-Dev] switch statement

Jonathan Goble jcgoble3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:53:03 EDT 2018

As Michael said, this belongs on python-ideas, but it's interesting. I'd
support it, though my input in that regard is worth approximately $0.00. ;)
It's the core devs and especially the eventual BDFL replacement whom you
would have to convince.

Without getting into an extended discussion here on python-dev, I'd like to
offer one brief comment to try to help improve the proposal:

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 2:17 PM <e2qb2a44f at prolan-power.hu> wrote:

> Let allow fallthrough or not? - To be decided. (Either is compatible with
> the above.)

I would argue for non-fallthrough as the default with support for
explicitly requesting fallthrough when desired by using "continue". I don't
know of any prior art for doing it that way, but it makes sense to me. It
eliminates hidden bugs from missing a "break" while still allowing it when
needed.

Good luck with the proposal!