[Python-Dev] Postponed annotations break inspection of dataclasses

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Sat Sep 22 14:29:21 EDT 2018

> This is a good catch -- thanks for bringing it up. I'm adding Eric Smith
> (author of dataclasses) and Ivan Levkivskyi (co-author of typing) as
> well as Łukasz Langa (author of PEP 563) to the thread to see if they
> have further insights.

I don't see Ivan and Łukasz cc'd, so I'm adding them here.

> Personally I don't think it's feasible to change PEP 563 to use lambdas
> (if it were even advisable, which would be a long discussion), but I do
> think we might be able to make small improvements to the dataclasses
> and/or typing modules to make sure your use case works.
>
> Probably a bugs.python.org <http://bugs.python.org> issue is a better
> place to dive into the details than python-dev.

Agreed that opening a bug would be good.

And then I'll ruin that suggestion by answering here, too:

I think this problem is endemic to get_type_hints(). I've never
understood how you're supposed to use the globals and locals arguments
to it, but this works:

print(get_type_hints(Bar.__init__, globals()))

as does:

print(get_type_hints(Bar.__init__, Bar.__module__))

But that seems like you'd have to know a lot about how a class were
declared in order to call get_type_hints on it. I'm not sure __module__
is always correct (but again, I haven't really thought about it).

The docs for get_type_hints() says: "In addition, forward references
encoded as string literals are handled by evaluating them in globals and
locals namespaces."

Every once in a while someone will bring up the idea of delayed
evaluation, and the answer is always "use a lambda". If we ever wanted
to do something more with delayed evaluation, this is a good use case
for it.

Eric