[Python-Dev] Documenting the private C API (was Re: Questions about signal handling.)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Sep 25 15:24:49 EDT 2018

On Sep 25, 2018, at 12:09, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> My main concern with maintaining a *separate* documentation of
> internals is that it would make it harder to keep it in sync with the
> actual implementation.  We often struggle to keep the comments in the
> code in sync with that code.

Well, my goal is that the internal API would show up when I search for function names on docs.python.org.   Right now, I believe the “quick search” box does search the entire documentation suite.  I don’t care too much whether they would reside in a separate section in the current C API, or in a separate directory, listed or not under “Parts of the documentation” on the front landing page.  But I agree they shouldn’t be intermingled with the public C API.

Cheers,
-Barry