[Python-Dev] No longer enable Py_TRACE_REFS by default in debug build

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 19:13:57 EDT 2019

Le sam. 13 avr. 2019 à 00:38, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> a écrit :
> Rather than removing features altogether, maybe the debug
> build could be split into a number of separate features
> that can be enabled individually?

I don't propose to *remove* a feature, but just to *disable* it *by
default* (when Python is compiled in debug mode):

"[WIP] bpo-36465: Py_DEBUG no longer implies Py_TRACE_REFS #12615"
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12615/files

In short, my change just removes:

/* Py_DEBUG implies Py_TRACE_REFS. */
#if defined(Py_DEBUG) && !defined(Py_TRACE_REFS)
#define Py_TRACE_REFS
#endif

The feature will still be accessible if you compile Python with
Py_TRACE_REFS defined.

In practice, I understood that the debug build of Python is not known
by all core developers, and it seems like it's mostly used by core
developers. Maybe it's even only used by core developers? It's hard to
say. If it's only used by core developers, I hope that all core devs
know to compile Python :-)

Victor