[Python-Dev] Actor Model in Python

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 22:14:16 EDT 2019

https://trio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference-core.html#synchronizing-and-communicating-between-tasks

https://pypi.org/search/?q=Actor+model

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_synchronous_parallel#The_model

On Friday, April 26, 2019, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 9:19 AM Aratz Manterola Lasa via Python-Dev
> <python-dev at python.org> wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was any Python project aiming to implement the
> actor model for python concurrency.
>
> As far as the standard library goes, the explicitly supported
> concurrency models are: threading, multiprocessing, and async/await.
> Between these (and a few other parts provided by Python) anyone can
> build libraries that emulate various other concurrency models.  Such
> libraries exist on the cheeseshop (PyPI), though I don't know about
> packages for the actor model specifically.  I recommend searching
> there for such packages.  If you don't find one then perhaps you've
> found a new project to start. :)
>
> Also, I have a proposal [1] for Python 3.9 that provides first class
> [low level] support for concurrency models like CSP and the actor
> model.  This is done with multiple [mostly] isolated interpreters per
> process and with basic "channels" for safely passing messages between
> them.  While the proposed library is intended to be useful on its own,
> it is also intended to provide effective building blocks for library
> authors.  Note that the PEP has not been accepted and is not
> guaranteed to be accepted (though I'm hopeful).
>

> Regardless, consider posting to python-list at python.org for feedback
> from the broader Python community.  This list is specifically used for
> the development of the Python language itself.  Thanks!

Or python-ideas at python.org ,
though I'm not sure what would be needed from core Python or stdlib to
create another actor model abstraction on top of the actual concurrency
primitives.

Truly functional actors are slow when/because the memory is not shared
inter-process

https://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/memory.html#referencing-and-allocating-memory

https://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/ipc.html#arbitrary-object-serialization

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0554/#interpreter-isolation

> -eric
>

> [1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0554/

"PEP 554 -- Multiple Interpreters in the Stdlib"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0554/

Is there / are there Issues, PRs, and Mailing List Threads regarding the
status of this proposal?

So sorry to interrupt,