[Python-Dev] Asking for reversion

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 21:10:43 EST 2019

> On Feb 3, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
> On 2/3/2019 7:55 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Also, did anyone ask Davin directly to roll it back?
>
> Antoine posted on the issue, along with Robert O.  Robert reviewed and make several suggestions.

I think the PR sat in a stable state for many months, and it looks like RO's review comments came *after* the commit.

FWIW, with dataclasses we decided to get the PR committed early, long before most of the tests and all of the docs. The principle was that bigger changes needed to go in as early as possible in the release cycle so that we could thoroughly exercise it (something that almost never happens while something is in the PR stage).  It would be great if the same came happen here.  IIRC, shared memory has long been the holy grail for multiprocessing, helping to mitigate its principle disadvantage (the cost of moving data between processes).  It's something we really want.

But let's see what the 3.8 release manager has to say.

Raymond