[Python-Dev] About multiprocessing maintainership

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:45:39 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:39 AM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> What I did (*) is different: I asked to mark Davin inactive and to stop
> auto-assigning him on bug tracker issues.  Davin was /still/ listed in
> the experts list, along with me and others.  IOW, there was no "editing
> out".

Auto-assignment (and auto-add-to-nosy-list, for that matter) is
handled by the "components" of the bug tracker, see
bugs.python.org/component.  The experts list is used just for
populating the auto-completion for the nosy-list (that is, typing
"multi" in the nosy list entry field brings up "multiprocessing:
davin,pitrou" currently).  Marking a dev as "(inactive)" in the
experts list removes them from that auto-completion.

We've long discussed the possibility of rearranging how bpo does
auto-nosy/auto-assign such that a reporter can tag the affected
module(s) and auto-nosy based on the experts list.  That would take
significant effort which probably isn't worth doing unless PEP581
winds up rejected, but in the meantime we could easily add a
`multiprocessing` component that does whatever auto-nosy and/or
auto-assignment we want.

--
Zach