[Python-Dev] Asking for reversion

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:58:32 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unless they are already there (I don't know) it would be good to have a
> full set of unit-tests for all the register()ed types and test them against
> SyncManager and SharedMemoryManager. That would give an idea on the real
> interchangeability of these 2 classes and would also help writing a
> comprehensive doc.

In order to speed up the alpha2 inclusion process I created a PR which
implements what said above:
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/11772
https://bugs.python.org/issue35917
Apparently SharedMemoryManager works out of the box and presents no
differences with SyncManager, but the list type is not using ShareableList.
When I attempted to register it with "SharedMemoryManager.register('list',
list, ShareableList)" I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "foo.py", line 137, in test_list
    o = self.manager.list()
  File "/home/giampaolo/svn/cpython/Lib/multiprocessing/managers.py", line
702, in temp
    proxy = proxytype(
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'manager'

I am not sure how to fix that (I'll leave it up to Davin). The tests as-is
are independent from PR-11772 so I suppose they can be reviewed/checked-in
regardless of the changes which will affect shared_memory.py.

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com