[Python-Dev] Another update for PEP 394 -- The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Feb 16 14:13:03 EST 2019

On Feb 16, 2019, at 09:25, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> While Matthias is still personally reluctant to add the alias for
> Debian/Ubuntu, the *only* thing preventing aliasing /usr/bin/python to
> /usr/bin/python3 right now on the Fedora & RHEL side of things is PEP
> 394, and Guido objected strongly when Petr last tried to get the PEP
> to even acknowledge that it was reasonable for distros to make that
> setting configurable on a system-wide basis:
> https://github.com/python/peps/pull/630

> P.S. Note that we're not asking for the PEP to say "You should do
> this..." - just for the PEP to acknowledge it as a reasonable choice
> for distros to make given the looming Python 2 End of Life.

I think this is a reasonable ask.  PEP 394 shouldn’t *prevent* distros from doing what they believe is in the best interest of their users.  While we do want consistency in the user experience across Linux distros (and more broadly, across all supported platforms), I think we also have to acknowledge that we’re still in a time of transition (maybe more so right now), so we should find ways to allow for experimentation within that context.  I’m not sure that I agree with all the proposed changes to PEP 394, but those are the guidelines I think I’ll re-evaluate the PR by.

-Barry